Friday, July 5, 2013

Seeking His Love

In this dunya, when we seek the love of any person, it tends to be a journey full of effort. We have to get to know the person – what are her likes and dislikes? What is his personality like? What do we have in common? What does she want for me? How does he feel about me? We strive to learn these facts and act accordingly, out of love, be it consciously or not.
What about Allah, subhanahu wa ta’ala? The Lord of the worlds? Our Creator? Is He not worthy of our love? Is He not worthy of us striving for His love? Of us learning what His likes and dislikes are? And of us acting accordingly?
Yes. Of course He is. But the question comes down to: How do I learn what He loves so I can do it? How do I get to know Him?
In a hadith qudsi, Allah ta’ala says, “My slave does not draw closer to Me with anything more beloved to Me than the things I have made obligatory on him. And my slave continues to draw closer with optional extra acts until I love himAnd when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his sight with which he sees, his hand with which he grasps and his foot with which he walks. If he asks Me, I will definitely give him, and if he seeks refuge with Me, I will definitely give him refuge.”  [Bukhari]
This Ramadan, we have (insha’Allah) come closer to Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala through our various acts of worship. After Ramadan, let us continue to perfect our obligatory acts such as salah, siyam, and zakah. Let us continue to strive in acts such as reading the Qur’an, praying qiyam, and giving sadaqah – even if it’s one page a day, 2 raka’ahs a week, and a dollar a day. Let us continue doing that which He loves.
And as we’re getting to know more about what Allah loves, let’s also  get to know who Allahis. What are His Names and Attributes? You cannot truly love someone if you don’t know their characteristics. This applies to our Rabb in an even greater sense. He has given us life and countless blessings – and to be truly grateful to Him, it must come out of a place of love. If we don’t know Allah, how then can we love Him, and in turn fear His disappointment and punishment?
To end, here is a du’aa the Prophet salla Allahu ‘alayhi wasallam used to make,
“O Allah, by Your knowledge of the Unseen and Your power over Your creation, keep me alive for as long as You know life is good for me, and cause me to die when You know death is good for me. O Allah, I ask You to make me fear You in secret and in public, and I ask You to make me speak the truth in times of contentment and of anger. I ask You not to let me be extravagant in poverty or in prosperity. I ask You for continuous blessings, and for contentment that does not end. I ask You to let me accept Your decree, and for a good life after death. I ask You for the joy of seeing Your face and for the longing to meet You, without going through diseases and misguiding trials. O Allaah, adorn us with the adornment of faith and make us among those who are guided. Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.” [Sahih an-Nisa'i]
This Ramadan – and beyond bi’idhnillah – pray for the love of your Rabb and the joy which comes with meeting Him in the akhirah. This love is not just a fleeting feeling, but it comes from striving – which makes it all the more sweeter in the Final Abode.